epa Photo Essays

Dylan Morris (L), aged 8, and his friend Brenda Hawkins (R), aged 6, play during a family gathering in the Panama Oeste province, Panama, 05 June 2019. The indigenous Guna people, one of seven ethnic groups in Panama, have a population of about 60,000 and are originally natives of an archipelago of small islands in the Panamanian Caribbean. According to experts, the prevalence of albinism among the Guna population is one the highest in the world, with roughly one in 150 people having that condition. Of every two gene-carrying parents, there is a 25 percent chance that the child will be albino, a 50 percent chance that he or she will be a gene carrier and a 25 percent chance that he or she will be healthy. The type of albinism characteristic of the Guna (OCA 2) is not the most serious of all because their bodies develop a pigment called melanin as they get older, but it does require lifelong care to avoid skin cancer, especially in tropical countries. For the Gunas, the 'sibbus', as they call albinos, were the direct descendants of the sun and those in charge of shooting arrows at the dragon that was trying to eat the moon during the eclipses. That is why they are also known as 'children of the moon' or 'grandchildren of the sun'. EPA-EFE/Bienvenido Velasco A general view of the 'Nyurbinsk' quarry at the Nakynskoye kimberlite field, located 300 km from the town of Mirny, Sakha (Yakutiya) Republic, Russia, 20 June 2019. The Nakynskoye deposit includes two kimberlite pipes, 'Botuobinskaya' – named after an exploration expedition in the Nyurbinsk Ulus in 1994 that opened the pipe – and 'Nyurbinskaya' – that was discovered in 1996. Both pipes located in the Nakynskoye ore field are hidden under a layer of sediment of 60-80 meters and turned out to be rich in both content and quality of diamonds. The ore field is operated by the Nyurbinsk Mining and Processing Plant, an enterprise of the Russian diamond mining company ALROSA. EPA-EFE/SERGEI ILNITSKY

Albinism in Panama

Photographer: Bienvenido Velasco

Diamond Land

Photographer: Sergei Ilnitsky

Indian children play cricket at the Kaliya Sot ground in Bhopal, India, 19 May 2019. Cricket, a sport dubbed as a religion in India owing to its unmatched popularity, has once again become a national obsession with the World Cup 2019 currently underway in England, the birthplace of the Gentleman’s Game. The tournament kicked off on May 30 and will conclude on Jul.14, with India among the favorites to lift the coveted trophy. Cricket is more than just a sport for the country. The quadrennial showpiece event has been instrumental in shaping the identity of the country of over one billion people. People from different religions, caste, creed, race, and economic status come together in supporting their team, forging a sense of unity and solidarity rarely seen in a country as diverse as India, considered a melting pot of cultures. EPA-EFE/SANJEEV GUPTA Turkish Drag Queen Matmazel Coco (R) gets ready to perform at the night club in Istanbul, Turkey, 16 March 2019. Transgender rights activist, actress, and drag queen, Seyhan Arman (39) was born in Adana, Turkey. She left her family home when she was 15 years old and began working as a DJ at a local radio station. She became interested in theatre and first took to the stage in a charity play supporting the disabled community, before performing as a clown on the streets of Adana. In 2000 she moved to Istanbul to work as a singer in a number of underground night clubs. During these years she became involved with the political LGBT community 'Lambda Istanbul'. At this time she took to the stage as drag queen 'Matmazel Coco' (Mademoiselle Coco) performing at nightclubs and entertainment events and in 2014 she began her professional acting career. She was nominated for “best woman actress” for her performance in the theatrical drama 'Küründen Kabare' (Cabaret of Sham) which she wrote and produced over two seasons, telling the story of her life as an LGBT individual. After this success, she starred in several tv series and movies and most recently she has been working dubbing the voice of black drag queen character Electra in the Netflix series “Pose”. EPA-EFE/SEDAT SUNA

Grassroots Cricket in India

Photographer: Sedat Suna

Turkey Drag Queen

Photographer: Sedat Suna

A handout photo made available by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) shows one of the first steps taken on the Moon in an image of Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin's bootprint in the moon's dust on 20 July 1969 (issued 25 June 2019). The year 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing, an event seen as the peak of the United States' space program of the 1960s which put an end to the so-called 'Race to Space' between the Cold War rivals the US and the Soviet Union, that once was triggered by the USSR's 04 October 1957 launch of the 'Sputnik 1' satellite. NASA astronaut Neil Armstrong made history when he stepped out of the Apollo 11's 'Eagle' landing module on 21 July 1969 and left the first human footprints on the moon. EPA-EFE/NASA HANDOUT A visitor passes in front of picture of Yuri Gagarin, the first cosmonaut of the USSR, inside the Vostok 1 command capsule that is on a display at the exhibition 'The way of Gagarin - Achievement of Russian manned cosmonautics' in Moscow, Russia, 08 April 2011 (re-issued 25 June 2019). On 12 April 1961, Gagarin performed a space flight aboard the Vostok-1 spacecraft, orbiting Earth in 108 minutes and landing safely near Smelovka village in the Saratov Region's Ternovsky District, Russia. The Soviet Union's 04 October 1957 launch of the Sputnik 1 satellite during the Cold War period (1947-91) between the United States and the USSR is regarded as the start of man's space exploration era, or the so-called 'Race to Space'. The year 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing, an event seen as the peak of the United States’ space program of the 1960s and which put an end to the Space Race between Cold War rivals the US and the Soviet Union, that was triggered by the Sputnik launch. EPA-EFE/SERGEI ILNITSKY

50th Anniversary of First Moon Landing

Various photographers

Race to Space

Various photographers